Saturday, July 13, 2013

Justice, mercy, and grace.

When at the Great Banquet a little under two months ago we were given these three definitions.

1. Justice-Getting what you deserve.
2. Mercy-Not getting what you deserve.
3. Grace-Getting what you don't deserve.

Just a little while ago, the Zimmerman trial ended acquitting George Zimmerman of the murder of 17 year old Trayvon Martin in 2012. Some see this as justice. The system spoke. The six jurors did their civic duty, and made the decision. Others are outraged, and believe that justice has not been served.

Right now, one might see it as Zimmerman gets mercy. Which is not getting what he deserves. Regardless of how you paint it, he killed a boy. The Bible says, "Thou shalt not kill," not "Thou shalt not kill, unless the kid is pounding your head into the pavement, then practice vigilante justice and kill him." Zimmerman could have shot the kid, and not killed him. Zimmerman does have to live with the fact that he shot and killed Trayvon Martin for the rest of his life. For any normal person with a soul, that will haunt him forever.

Right now I just pray that Zimmerman finds God's grace, and that it brings him peace. Whether or not he deserves mercy is not my call. God's love is not limited by our sins. Isaiah 43:25, "I, I am he
who blots out your transgressions for my own sake,    and I will not remember your sins." We all need God's grace in our lives. None of us deserve the love He gives us. 

We could stand to show some grace for our fellow man. I don't just mean Zimmerman. Most of us will never have to meet him to show him grace. I mean the friend who shared a secret that wasn't theirs, the spouse who belittled your problem, and the child who stuck his tongue out at you in the check out line at Wal-mart. We all do things that disappoint and hurt the people in our lives, and we need grace from those people. To get that grace, we must show it for them when they disappoint us. I am grateful for those who do not give me what I deserve, and give me what I don't deserve on a regular basis. It shows that they care about who I am as a whole person, and not in one moment of weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment