Thursday, December 20, 2012

Staying Home and other random musings

People will always lead you to believe there is something wrong with you if you don't want to go out with friends to a club or bar. At least if you're in your twenties like me. It's not normal to want to stay at home when you don't have work in the morning. I do like going out sometimes, but some days it's more appealing to stay at home curled up on the couch, watching a movie. I'm middle-aged and frumpy at twenty-three, or at least to most people my age.

Home is safe and comfortable sure, but I don't want people to think I'm hiding from that atmosphere. My parents, sister, and I used to go to this Sports/Karaoke Bar all the time when I was a kid. I got my fill of the bar scene before I was even legal to smoke, much less drink. Not that my parents were drunkards..far from it, but the bar had ridiculously awesome wings, and actually good spinach dip and sweet tea. Weird huh? People are like, "You need to go out and meet a guy." Well that type of scene is not where I want to meet a guy. Especially since I'm a not the type of person looking for a one time deal. If a person isn't going to make at least a good conversation and friend, then I'm not really interested in getting to know them.

Students always ask me if I'm married. Then they ask if I have a boyfriend. Then they ask if I have any children. Then they ask if I'm a lesbian. Then they ask if I'm a virgin. Good grief! Kids have no sense of tact anymore. When did those become appropriate questions to ask your teacher?! We asked our teachers if they were married, and if they were, we may have asked if they had children. Never once do I recall anyone asking a teacher if she was a lesbian or if she was a virgin. Just plain rude.

One year I will learn to not even address the question of whether I'm married with my students. I will learn not to even let the can of worms out. They're just trying to rattle me. I always tell them it's off topic, and that I have other things more important to talk about. If I had a husband and kids, I would probably talk about them frequently. I know I've mentioned my cat plenty of times. So while I'm pretty certain that I'm not a socially weird as my kids seem to think I am, apparently it's strange to be twenty-three and single with a cat.

If that's strange, then I don't want to be normal. I'm not married. I'm not dating. I don't have sex with random men that I meet in bars. I don't ask awkward personal questions from the authority figures in my life. I have a bit of reserve. So perhaps I am middle-aged and frumpy at 23, but I don't compromise on my morals or anything else for anyone else. I try not to be annoyed about it, but it does get to me sometimes that people my age and even my students seem to think that there is one way to be a twenty-three year old, and if you don't fit that picture, then something is wrong with you. There isn't anything wrong with not being the typical, partying, free-spirited twenty-something. They tell you your whole life you can be whoever you want to be, and that is true, but one must prepare to hear the opposite from many critics.

No comments:

Post a Comment