Sunday, November 18, 2012

This post will run the gamut of emotions from A to Z.

Because we don't know when we will die, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times, and a very small number really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, an afternoon that is so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four, five times more, perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps 20. And yet it all seems limitless.” 
― Paul Bowles

Just for the record, I did not start with that quote thinking that I'm going to die soon. I'm not that morbid, but I will write about my eventual death. In the last two weeks, my dear aunt lost her dad and her little brother. Her brother was only thirty-three. He had a coronary, and there really wasn't much that could be done about it. The poor man just died. Ideally for me, I'd like to die at some very old age of at least 85+ of some not painful disease/old-age. No one gets to choose when they die. 

We do get to choose how we live. If I died tomorrow, I know I could be proud of what I've accomplished in my short time on Earth. I graduated high school and college. I have been saved and baptized. I landed my first job against all odds, and my second job during unhealthy economic times. I have had so many opportunities thanks to a great familial support system and amazing friends. I have not accomplished a lot, but I know that what I've accomplished has meaning. 

My uncle put up a post about a book called, The Dash. In it it talks about the year of birth on a tombstone and the year of death on a tombstone, but what is really important is the dash in between those years. I intend to use my dash wisely. I intend to find more ways to serve God. I will eventually find a husband, and hopefully (as long as I'm not over 35 when I get married) have a family. I want to buy a house/home and establish a life somewhere. I want to live to teach my current students' children (and in some cases grandchildren). 

The choir director was helping an old lady into church this morning, and as I walked by she said, "Look at that pretty young lady (referring to me)." "I used to wear heels like those." I said thank you, and I held the door open for her and the choir director. That woman made my day. Later during Children's Moment, the youth minister, asked the children, "In 30 seconds, I want you to name everything that you are thankful for." The children rattled off a great list, "family, friends, neighbors, God, church." Then he asked, "How do you tell them that you're thankful for them?" The children replied, "You say thank you." Then he asked, "How do you tell God you're thankful?" They replied again, "Thank you." "Can you not also sing? Can you not also come to church?" That little old lady definitely showed how thankful she was to God today by being kind to a relative stranger. I will be like that little old lady one day hopefully, and hopefully some other young lady will be able to see how thankful I am for God in the same way. 

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving my friends! May God Bless you and keep you safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment